Saturday, August 28, 2010

Episode three: Finally party time

I know, I'm late. I like to think of it as fashionably late. Considering I am still trying to make up for time spent in the "real world," I figure I can cut myself the slightest smidgen of slack. I really am determined to get back on track this week, though. Really.

So, here are the details of project number three.

The challenge: Create a look using only items from a party supply store (and muslin from the work room).

The constraints: Half an hour to shop, $100 budget, one day to construct, two hours in hair and make-up.

My take: First, I did a lot of bitching and moaning. Mostly, because we have one chain of party supply stores and one bulk warehouse party supply store. The chain is not great. Especially not great after I looked on their website for hours, drove to the only open location to find out it was closed, and I wrote them an e-mail to which they did not respond. But, that is water under the bridge.

Due to the previously mentioned wasted trip, I was starting a little (okay, a lot) behind on this challenge. As much as I would have liked to skip ahead, I gritted my teeth and swore I would make it work! First, I shopped. I looked at the same sad selection over and over in hopes something amazing would pop out. Nada. I could not even find cheap polyester ribbon! Since I love paper sculpture, I thought I would go in that vein. I finally took my purchases to the register and came in at $42.

I arrived home and commenced construction. I was sure that a challenge involving glue and paper couldn't take very long and I surely wouldn't need the whole day. HA! I was so wrong. Pleating all that crepe paper for appliqué was tedious and time consuming. I watched two films from my Oscar list (Kramer vs Kramer and Chariots of Fire) which barely made a dent in the time. My idea was a vintage style dress in the vein of the 40s or 50s. The plan involved a tea length skirt, a corset top, and a fascinator.

The Twist: The models came for fittings bearing gifts. Gift bags of more party shop goodies to make an accessory!


G brought me my bag of goodies. I whipped up a rose out of a lei and some crepe paper and attached it to ribbon to make a corsage choker. Easy peasy! (in the grand scheme of things) Though it used the time I had planned for the fascinator, so that was scrapped.

Originally I thought I would make a corset top out of the placemats and stitch star confetti on it like beads or sequins. As the skirt ate more of my time, I was going to glue the confetti. The skirt ate some more time, and I scrapped the confetti all together. Finally, I just wanted to have a top for the freaking dress! So, I pieced together the front and sides. I realized that the paper was not cooperating the way it did in my head. So, I scrapped the back and commenced braiding crepe paper to create closures, figuring I could somehow tie them into adorable bows and salvage the thing.

Then my model (meaning me) went to the stylists (still meaning me) to get ready for the runway. I told the stylist to go for sort of a pinup/Dita vonTeese sort of thing. Some hot rollers, hair pins, and a mole drawn on with eye pencil later, the model (still me) emerged to get dressed. This time I was not abashed to use the stapler to fasten the garment. All situated, I headed for the door with my photographer, when I felt a rip. Stapler, STAT!

Here are the results!
The front view isn't as stellar as I had hoped. Placemats aren't exactly easy to make flattering, despite efforts to fold and such. Here is where I would have had words with Michael Kors, explaining the material and he would tell me not to make excuses. Heidi would say something about how tiny the model is and how she looks like a house, and I would roll my eyes and shake my head.
Here's the back from the runway. I was worried it would read like goth hippie from the back, but I felt that part actually worked!

A couple of details:



I was really pleased with the skirt, not so pleased with the top, and sad I had to cut the feathered fascinator I had planned. It makes perfect sense that the skirt was good, because that is where I invested my time. It takes a lot more work to repurpose items and make them look like something they are not.
Mostly, I am just glad to have this challenge behind me so I can go back to my trusty sewing machine and beloved fabric. I like paper crafting, just not for clothing!

So, judges, what do you think?

3 comments:

  1. The skirt is incredible!! I mourn the loss of the fascinator... If only because then I wouldn't have had to Google what it was to know what it was... Can't wait 'till next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this. Yes the top doesn't fit as well as it could but I like the simplicity of it as it balances out the details of the skirt (gorgeous work on that btw). The whole look is stylish and I love the color pop of the the choker.

    On to next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The skirt is lovely! And the choker is just the right touch. Looking forward to next week!

    sageincave

    ReplyDelete